Cass - Words on Paper's Reviews > The Sky Is Everywhere

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

4.5/5

The Sky is Everywhere is a beautiful & lyrical but completely different and somewhat contraversial YA novel. The "description" at the back cover (UK)... just disparage that, because I find that it was completely misleading. This novel is so much more than suddenly having the urge to "kiss all the boys at a funeral", or whatever it says. We discover that Lennie's sister Bailey has died, and of course, we don't know her, nor do we really care about her (or at least I didn't). It's rather the effect that Bailey's death has on Lennie, that makes Bailey such a crucial character in the story. Jandy Nelson equips Lennie with a sardonic tone of voice at the beginning of the novel, "My sister has died a thousand times over since this morning" (sorry, can't be bothered finding the real quotes). That tone of voice that we YA lit freaks have grown to love (or just grown accustomed to).

The book flows through Lennie's slow but steady "journey" towards acknowledgement and realisation of what she must learn to do: let go. The Sky is Everywhere touched me so deeply, I don't think I can really explain it, but in some moments I was crying buckets; others I was laughing or smiling... this book was unconventional, sweet but not cheesy, and for me, it was a book I needed to read slowly. I can't quite explain why that is.

Now, for the actual book, the cover is completely different to the book cover as presented here. The colours are less vibrant, which was a bit disappointing. However, the whole book is printed in BLUE ink!! I thought that was really neat, especially since I've never seen a book like that before. I've seen coloured pages, but never coloured text! And all throughout the book! I want to buy the US hardcover and make a comparison someday. I think those US vs. UK battles around the blogosphere are really interesting, and I love going through them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sky Is Everywhere.

Quotes Cass - Liked

Jandy Nelson
“The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.”

Jandy Nelson
“I wish my shadow would get up and walk beside me.”

Jandy Nelson
“My sister will die over and over again for the rest of my life. Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath. I will never stop grieving Bailey because I will never stop loving her. That's just how it is. Grief and love are conjoined, you don't get one without the other. All I can do is love her, and love the world, emulate her by living with daring and spirit and joy.”

Jandy Nelson
“I always imagined music trapped inside my clarinet, not trapped inside of me. But what if music is what escapes when a heart breaks?”

Jandy Nelson
“Music: what life, what living itself sounds like.”

07/20/2010 page 99
41.0% "Beautiful so far! I LOVE the feel of the book, and the way it's set out. The narrative is conversational, but effective. The storyline follows a semi-realistic tale of a girl who has lost her older sister, but, as is conveyed early on in the novel, LIFE CONTINUES. That's what part of this book, I believe, is about. :)"
show 2 hidden updates…