Julie's Reviews > The Book of Fathers

The Book of Fathers by Miklós Vámos

Jun 03, 10

bookshelves: own, vine, fiction
Read in November, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I was disappointed that I struggled so much with this book. Following twelve generations through three centuries is no easy feat, especially when dealing with Hungarian vernacular. While it was a well-rendered story, I found my lack of sympathy for the characters led to confusion when referencing prior patriarchs, though the family tree provided some guidance in keeping the first born sons straight. There seemed to me to be a disconnect between generations, typically because the fathers were not extraordinary in any sense other than their “gift” and they came to depressingly untimely and often premature demises. Basically, not one of the Csillag/Stern clan garnered much emotion or compassion in me to be likeable or memorable. However, I did find the premise of their ability to see into their past and future quite intriguing, bringing into question the influence of destiny and predetermination. I would recommend reading the author’s note prior to finishing as it lends some perspective to Vamos’ motives and to Hungarian history. It was an effective family saga, but I was never engaged enough to appreciate this novel.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via the Amazon Vine Program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Fathers.