Lori (Pure Imagination)'s Reviews > Delirium

Jan 30, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Lori (Pure Imagination) by: grumpybear17@msn.com
Read from August 05 to 06, 2010

I don't even know where to begin. I know I have said it in many reviews, but it has never been more true than right now: Whatever I say in this review will not do this book justice. It is an experience that you just have to have on your own. I don't have enough words to explain to you how this book made me feel, but I'm going to try to use the ones I've got.

I love dystopia. It's hands down my favorite genre. When I heard that Lauren Oliver was releasing a dystopian book I knew I had to read it as soon as possible. I loved Before I Fall, so I knew this book would have to be great, but I didn't know it was going to be incredible. Oliver has not only created a dystopian world but she has executed it flawlessly. It has elements of Orwell's 1984, but in a much more updated and realistic way. The society in Delirium has deemed Love a disease. All the troubles of the past can be attributed to this disease. To Amor Deliria Nervosa. So, when you turn 18 you are cured. Lena has looked forward to getting her cure her entire life. Until she meets Alex.

This book is not simply just a romance or just a dystopian. It's so much more. Lena and Alex consumed me, consumed my life for the short time that I was reading about theirs. I didn't want to let them go after the book was over. Their emotions and thoughts were so well evoked on the page that it was like they were my emotions and thoughts.

The writing was fantastic. A book rarely ever makes me miss sleep, this one did. It was completely impossible to put down and impossible to lounge on the couch will reading. I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat. This book devastated me, but I loved every minute of it. It was beautiful and frightening.

You might think it sounds a little dramatic, but this book changed me in some small way. I don't think I will look at life and love in the same way anymore. It's powerful. It's the best book I have ever read. And I don't throw that phrase around easily. Buy it! Pre-order it! Read it! Maybe it will change your life too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Lori (Pure Imagination) Liked

Lauren Oliver
“My heart is drumming in my chest so hard it aches, but it's the good kind of ache, like the feeling you get on the first real day of autumn, when the air is crisp and the leaves are all flaring at the edges and the wind smells just vaguely of smoke - like the end and the beginning of something all at once.”

Lauren Oliver
“We stand there for a moment, looking at each other, and in that instant I feel our connection so strongly it's as though it achieves physical existence, becomes a hand all around us, cupping us together, protecting us. This is what people are always talking about when they talk about god: this feeling, of being held and understood and protected. feeling this way seems about as close to saying a prayer as you could get...”

Lauren Oliver
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it”

08/05/2010 page 113
08/06/2010 page 338
77.0% "I don't even have words for how amazing this book is. This is the best book I have read all year!!"
08/06/2010 page 440
100.0% "This is the best book I have read in a long long time!"