Karl's Reviews > Turn Left At The Trojan Horse: A Would-Be Hero's American Odyssey

Turn Left At The Trojan Horse by Brad Herzog

Jun 02, 2010

Read from May 24 to June 01, 2010

Turn Left at the Trojan Horse is Herzog at his best. A road trip story, a musing on the ancient world and how their values continue to influence us today, and a meditation on what is "a life well-lived" are just some of Herzog's themes. It's also a great look at pop culture and how it reflects the best and worst of our collective zeitgeist. It is at turns funny, pensive, and even melancholic. Herzog writes with a very self-deprecating yet self-aware voice. It might not hurt to have your Meridian Handbook of Classical Literature handy, but it's not really necessary as Herzog gives a little thumbnail summary of what we need to know as we visit with him the towns of Troy, Apollo, Siren, Sparta, Zip N.D. and many others. There's also a great reflection on his stint in the hot seat on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? and how an on air mention by Regis Philbin of his book States of Mind (another great road trip book by the way)instantly drove the book up Amazon's bestsellers list. I was one of those who helped in that cause (and followed him into the hot seat months later) and consequently was inspired to take several several road covering much of the same ground as Herzog. His descriptions of the landscape, the people he encounters and the road trip mindset are spot on. I highly recommend this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turn Left At The Trojan Horse.