Sandra 's Reviews > Stormed Fortress

Stormed Fortress by Janny Wurts

Aug 23, 14

bookshelves: ebook, fantasy, favorites
Read from June 07, 2010 to August 23, 2014 — I own a copy, read count: 3

Of all the superlatives I've used in reviewing these books, I have to say this one tops them all. The story comes to a thrilling pause on its way to the next Arc, which Janny says will be out in the Fall. "Initiate's Trial." I can hardly wait! Even though there is no cliff hanger here, the story must continue. I felt such sadness to come to the end (temporary, to be sure) of my time spent in the world of Athera. Sigh. You've got to read these books. In order, please.

I'm adding to this review after reading this book at least twice, as I have all of the series. Some additions are called for. In this book, Ms. Wurts demonstrates her genius for bringing about conflict resolution through love and compassion instead of conflict and slaughter. Her characters are subtly shown to be less than perfectly good as well as less than evil. She manages to bring a shred of hope for redemption in even the ones I hate the most. In addition, her prose becomes part of the whole creation of the series in its bardic rhythm and complexity. Threads are tied up, issues are resolved, and I'm able to breathe a sigh of relief while I wait for the next installment of this complex, satisfying, and inspiring story.

The magic system in the series is based on energy - the energy of sound, of light, of crystals, of love, and so forth. In its creation, Wurts has drawn on quantum theory principles, most of which baffle me utterly even while I can admire their complexity and apparent soundness. I love that it makes a sort of scientifically plausible sense while still allowing a sense of wonder and awe at its power. The mysteries of the planet are still unsolved, and will be, I'm sure, resolved by the end of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stormed Fortress.

06/07/2010 "Last book! Next one out in the fall. :( I'm sad to be finishing... ::tear::"
06/07/2010 "Mercy, love, and gratitude always undo me."
06/08/2010 page 398
63.78% "I'm totally overcome by the power of this story."
02/05/2013 page 175
28.0% "I was thinking I might skip this one as I know it so well, but now am all caught up in the story again."
02/07/2013 page 361
57.0% "Sigh. The scenes between Elaira and Arithon are so tender and lovely."
08/20/2014 marked as: currently-reading
08/23/2014 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Charles Sandra, this is probably Janny's greatest book....so far. Stormed Fortress will break your heart and lift it up at the same time. Awesome story.

Sandra Its already doing that. I wept about Feylind.

Charles Yes, I think Janny said that she did, too. Honestly, I think Dr. Goebbels would weep about Feylind. Incredible emotional fireworks there. How about the scene where Arithon discovers the true nature of his sword. Or the scene where the Sunchildren free Arithon of the mistwraith? Serious tearjerkers, all. Janny is quite good for that, too.

Stefan Just so you know, these comments are shown in full in the update feed of your friends...

Charles Yes, I am trying to refer to certain scenes without actually revealing too much. Guess I accidentally spoiled a bit on the Sunchildren scene. Sorry, Stefan. I'll be more careful in future.

Stefan No worries... Personally I'm always more about the journey than the destination, so I don't mind plot spoilers myself, but others may not feel the same.

Charles I appreciate your politeness. As you know, I am posting on several GR and FBC threads, and one of them has no spoiler bane.

Sandra Just finished a reread. It is the best in the series. So complex and layered! And one heart wrenching event after the other. I absolutely cannot WAIT for Initiate's Trial.