AdultNonFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Travels with Charley: In Search of America

Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

May 24, 10

bookshelves: travel

Teton Co Library Call No: 917.3 Steinbeck
Marisa's Rating: 4 Stars

Loved Steinbeck's take on America -- he has a this really interesting casual manner of writing that made this book a breeze. Like his novels, "Travels ..." allowed deep judgments and assessments to come to the surface on their own, not too dense at all. I love the idea of Steinbeck riding around in his truck and with his poodle- inviting Americans of all backgrounds in for a drink. I think he did a great job of making a travelogue without making a list and without making the "plot" too purposeful. A great piece for a more relaxed read and also a great look at a writer who was truly forward thinking- his thoughts on environmentalism, capitalism, and American waste/smog were way ahead of their time. Definitely made me happy to live in Wyoming, a uniquely American place, indeed.

For more on this pick listen to Jackson's community radio station, KHOL on December 9th at 3pm for the library's literary show!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travels with Charley.