Heather Hamilton's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

bookshelves: book-club, absolute-favorites, year-2010, epistolary
Read from June 11 to 12, 2010

Quotes Heather Liked

Mary Ann Shaffer
“Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you to another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive - all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“I sometimes think I prefer suitors in books rather than right in front of me. How awful, backward, cowardly, and mentally warped that will be if it turns out to be true.”

Mary Ann Shaffer
“I am to cover the philosophical side of the debate and so far my only thought is that reading keeps you from going gaga.”

06/11/2010 page 48
18.0% "A charming read! I love the variety of characters brought into the story through the letters they write. But I am beginning to feel as a convict might: reading about the life that you cannot see outside. I also wish I could write letters like these. I wish I had a penpal. I will have to be satisfied with my ability to balance my dinner on my knee and eat with one hand while reading with the other."
06/12/2010 page 274
100.0% "Loved it! Although I shan't bronze it and hang it in my house, it does make me wish I had a pen pal."