Noelle's Reviews > Birthright

Birthright by Nora Roberts

Jun 20, 11

bookshelves: owned, alpha-male-that-i-love, contemp, second-chance-romance, 2011-reads, romantic-suspence
Read from June 14 to 19, 2011

This was a reread for me and still one of my favorites. It does start out a bit slow but then it picks up after about page 150 or so and never slows down again.

Callie (h) is an archaeologist and when some bones are found that turn out to be 5000 years old, she's called out to work the dig. While assembling her team she asks for the best of the best, when they start arriving one of those turns out to be her exhusband Jake (H). It has been almost a year since the divorce and she still hurts over what had happend. Now she has no choice but to work with him and when a strange woman approches her and lays a bombshell about her childhood in her lap, Callie has no choice but to seek the answers to her past along with the ancient past of the dig.

Jake knew that Callie would be on this assignment and he couldn't wait to work with her again. He knew this was his chance to get her back and to get thier relationship right this time. The only thing he didn't count on was someone killing off memebers of his team. Now he has to keep Callie safe while helping her solve the secrets of her past and work a dig that some are saying is cursed.

I loved the banter between Callie and Jake, there was some lol moments that would lighten the mood of the book wich was needed because it can be very emotional at times. For example when Callie and Jake are remanencing about a passed dig they were on, she starts off with....

"Remember that place we stayed in outside Cairo? We were only there for a few weeks"

" A few too many"
" It was only a little snake"
" It didn't look so little when it slithered into the bathroom with me"
" You screamed like a girl"
" I certainly did not. I bellowed like a man. And though I was bare-assed naked, I
dispatched it with my bare hands."
" You beat it to a pulp with a towel rod."
" Which I ripped from the wall with my bare hands. Same thing."

I just loved reading those parts. There are also secondary characters that are all done wonderfully. And letters that a woman writes to her long lost daughter that just tug at the heartstrings. This is one that will stay on my keeper shelf and will be reread often. =)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthright.

06/15/2011 page 61