Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Bound By Sin

Bound By Sin by Jenna Maclaine

2043222
May 24, 2010

Read in November, 2010

I have read as many of the Cin Craven books as I can, and all in the past week, so if any of this is repetative or if I go over something I used in a status update, I'm sorry. I got a bit confused by reading a Cin Craven short story out of order.

Now, this book has it all. There is a haunted plantation, a cat who only lets the ghost pet her, a murderer, a voodoo queen, Ares, the god of War, and Morrigan, the Celtic goddess.
And vampires. How could I forget the vampires.

We enter into this book with Cin being summoned back to London from France, and her descendants asking her for help. One of her cousins has been kidnapped by an American who wants an urn from her. We also see a bit of sisterly bickering and bonding between Justine and Cin. One of the reasons for the bickering is that Cin has kept her human ties to her family and her old life, while Justine cut all ties with her human life after she was turned. I think this whole series has done a fabulous job of showing the bittersweet aspect of immortality, of watching one's loved ones die and getting close to the next generation only to watch them pass too.

Once the location is discovered, Cin, Michael, Justine and Devlin hop a ship to Georgia and think it will be an easy grab and go. In fact, they go right up to his house and knock on the door in the middle of the night. IN fact, Cin was worried about the propriety of one showing up on someone's doorstep in the middle of the night.

The jerk wouldn't let them in, so Michael bought the island for Cin. Then they called in Adrien's mortgage and evicted him.

I think that the vampire aspect in this book was touched on, but it wasn't quite as involved as the previous 2 books. Here we deal more and more with Cin's dark side, and how all the voodoo on the island is calling to her dark magic. In fact, Pandora, the voodoo queen from New Orleans, helps Cin to understand that both the light and the dark magic are part of her, and trying to repress the dark magic will only make it "hungrier," so to speak. She needs to find a balance in herself and with her magics.

Michael hates the dark magic and worries constantly. Devlin and Justine are in Jamaica securing their return passage to England, so they aren't in the bulk of the action, but while at first I was sad they weren't in there, by the end, I realized why and how well it had worked.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Meanwhile, I do believe I mentioned a haunted plantation? The villain of the piece, Adrien, the kidnapper and coveter of the urn, killed his wife, and she still haunts the place. Miss Evangeline cracked me up. Seriously snarky ghost.

Now the urn that we've been touching on is the reason Cin's cousin Claire was abducted. It's an urn housing the Greek god of war, Ares. Claire accidentally summoned him, after Morrigan gave him unto her keeping.

Adrien wants to unleash Ares onto the battlefields of the Civil War and kill of the Yankees. Wow. But the urn has to be handed over, not taken, so he took Claire and is trying to "persuade" her to hand over the urn.

I'll stop the spoilers there, but let's jsut say the ending is soo open, and I'm furious that Jenna MacLaine didn't put an excerpt of the next book, after leaving me with that ending. Never fear, it's not quite a cliffhanger, but it's just enough information to leave me with my jaw droppped and flipping the last blank page, thinking "No, no that's not it! What happens next?"

Anyone who loves Cin, will love this one too, even if it's not as action packed as the previous books, we do see more of Michael and Cin,and we see Cin growing and learning to deal with her darker half.

A great book, a great series, and I'm dying for more Cin and Michael.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound By Sin.

11/15/2010 page 41
12.0% "I've jumped on the Sin wagon!"
11/16/2010 page 107
30.0% "I think the short story I just read goes after this book-I just met some characters that I read about in the last book..oops" 6 comments
11/18/2010 page 107
30.0% "The bastard had kidnapped my cousin. If that didn't warrant two vampires knocking on your door in the dead of night, I don't know what did." 2 comments
11/18/2010 page 127
36.0% "lol-they just bought the whole island out from under him! good, the jerk!" 2 comments
11/18/2010 page 352
100.0% "What a ride. I missed Justine and Devlin and im not sure if we should be happy for what Morrigan has planned or not And, I want more Cin and Michael and I want it now!!!" 21 comments