Amanda's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Dec 14, 2007

bookshelves: fer-teenagers-kids-and-younguns, books-i-highly-recommend, perhaps-i-shall-read-it-again, 2008
Read in November, 1994 , read count: 3

November 21, 2008
It's been a long many years since I last read this novel. So it seemed high time to read it again. And this time my eyes have been opened to the loveliness that is Jem Finch. What a passionate and honorable young man. How did I never notice this before???

November 23, 2008
Full Circle Observation: Jem ends up with a wonky left arm, just like Tom Robinson. How did I never notice that before? I tell you peeps what--you've GOT to read this book paying special attention to Jem Finch's perspective.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spring 2008:
What I want to know is this: Why do they wait until high school to make kids read this book? I seriously think kids should be reading this book in 6th grade. Is it because there's rape? I hate that our Puratinistic "values" are taking over soooo much that they totally gets in the way of what's actually important in this novel.

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 11: by Meen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meen I went to public school in MS 20+ years ago, and there was never even any mention of this book, of course, b/c of the racial subject matter. I didn't read it until I was well into my 20s. Now, it's gotta be one of my top 5 all-time favorites. (I've read it at least 5 times.) I love it more each time I read it. It's like you see something different in it as you change over the years.

message 10: by Amanda (last edited Nov 25, 2008 08:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amanda I'm with you! I've only read it 3 times, but it really is amazing how different this novel is now that it's been nearly a decade since I picked it up last. Also, this was the ONLY book I read cover to cover for a school assignment--11th grade--so back then, I was all about Scout.

Edit* NO, WAIT! I did read Animal Farm. Forgot about that...

message 9: by Félix (new) - added it

Félix I have loved this book.

Dave Russell I remember reading an excerpt in 7th grade English class. It was the scene where Jem gets a new perspective on Atticus after Atticus shows off his mad shooting skillz.

Amanda The deaddest shot in Maycomb County!

Amanda Why didn't they make you read the whole book in 7th grade? Ridiculous! This kind of stuff gets me all riled up. TEACH OUR FUCKING KIDS, ALREADY!!!!!!! A 12 year old is mature enough to handle the subject matter. Plus, the earlier you teach kids about stuff, the better decision-makers they become. Ugh. Stupid stupid stupid school systems.

Meen I love Dill.

Dave Russell The excerpt was part of this textbook with various stories. I read the novel on my own in my junior year of HS.

Dill was based on Truman Capote, Harper Lee's childhood friend.

Meen Yeah, but I like Dill much better than I like Truman.

Jose Enriquez I completely agree with you I am starting High School this year and they told us to read this book, but I actually think that we should have read this book a long time ago so that we can somehow understand it better at a younger age just like scout. Thanks for opening my eyes I just realized that Jem ends up with a wonky left arm, just like Tom Robinson.

message 1: by Vy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vy Pham They don't assign it to you when you are younger in school simply because at that time, some kids have not matured yet. Though they can read and understand the book, they don't really understand it in depth.