Alisa's Reviews > Secrets of Eden

Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian

May 24, 2010

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read in May, 2010

Man in small Vermont town murders wife and kills himself. Local pastor is in love with wife, and loses his faith after the killing. Famous author who writes books about angels appears on the scene and wants to help. Police forensics determine that, no, actually both deaths were homicides.

The first part is told by the pastor. He runs away to Manhattan to have an affair with the angel author. But you understand. You think he's not such a bad guy.

The second part is told by the DA, who thinks the pastor is a cold killer. You start to agree with her.

The third part is told by the angel author, who tells you all about her own parents' murder-suicide, how she herself attempted suicide and saw her first angel, and why she is no longer having an affair with the lying pastor.

The fourth part is told by the murdered couple's teenage daughter.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of Eden.

message 1: by Gwenette (new) - added it

Gwenette Wow, now I totally want to read this book!

Alisa I think you'll like it. Other reviewers seem to have been disappointed, but I've never read anything by Bohjalian before, and no longer had the jacket description, so I went into it with no expectations. It kept me going through a whole week of sweltering workouts - high praise indeed.