Alexa SOF2014's Reviews > Hush

Hush by Jacqueline Woodson

May 24, 10

bookshelves: grade-8-ir-books-betts

Toswiah Green, an African-American 12 year old girl must adapt to many changes in her life. Her father, a police officer, testifies against two fellow officers in a murder trial. The entire family is forced to enter the witness protection program in order to be safe. Toswiah struggles with her new identity, in a new town and school. She is stressed out over this difficult situation and the family also undergoes major stress.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to leave your friends, family and school to a different city and never be allowed to return. What a scary prospect of the future! Toswiah must have been a very brave girl. Her father must also be very brave to testify against two of his fellow police officers. I have moved to many differet countries. But we have moved voluntarily and were able to always keep in touch with our friends and family. What a courageous family!

I loved this book and would give it 5 stars! Jacqueline Woodson is and excellent writer. I felt Toswiah's pain and terror and moving to a new city. What tremendous courage and perseverence it must have taken to leave all of their loved ones!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush.