Dina's Reviews > The Assignment

The Assignment by Evangeline Anderson

1918270
Sep 11, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-romance, erotica-romantica, m-m, bdsm, to-blog
Read on September 10, 2010

A likable hero (Valenti) paired with a not-so-likable hero (O'Brian) + hot, kinly M/M sex scenes + silly plot with big, jarring holes = Dina was disappointed!

The premise of this book is simple: Nicholas Valenti and Sean O'Brian are two straight (but not homophobic) Homicide Detectives who, for whatever reason, are asked to work in a Narcotics Division's undercover operation to catch a big drug lord. The glitch? They have to pretend to be a gay couple in order to infiltrate the drug lord's headquarters, that happens to be located inside the RamJack, the biggest gay resort in the country. Needless to say, Valenti and O'Brian engage in a series of PDGA (Public Displays of Gay Affection) while they're at the resort - just to fool the drug lord and his cohorts, of course. (BTW, my favorite PDGA was the Wankathon. Yowza!!!)

Anyway, don't you mind the silly plot. It was nothing more than an excuse to have Valenti and O'Brian falling in each other's arms (and bodies) and discovering the "inner gay man" that lived undisturbed inside them. That worked for me - partially. The entire story is told from Valenti's POV, so it was easy to connect with him and understand his "uncomfortable" new feelings towards his long-time friend and partner. On the other hand, I was never let inside O'Brian's mind and that prevented me from understanding him. I didn't doubt he loved Valenti as a friend, but I needed to see him working things out in his mind. Considering his background - O'Brian was the ultimate Irish-Catholic Bostonian - I had a hard time believing the easy way he embraced his newfound sexuality.

The ending also left a lot to be desired, IMHO. I know this isn't romantic suspense and the drug lord storyline was secondary to Valenti and O'Brian's romance, but having the whole drug case wrapped up while Valenti was asleep - literally! - was too much. :(

All in all, this wasn't a bad read. Valenti's character was well written, but O'Brian's was lacking. I've heard that there's a sequel of sorts to this book, a short story where O'Brian gets to "voice" his POV. I intend to read it and, hopefully, I'll finally get him and believe his love for Valenti is real.

----------

EDITED TO ADD: I just finished reading I'll Be Hot for Christmas, the sequel I mentioned above, and I'm sorry to say I'm still not happy with O'Brian. :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assignment.

09/10/2010
0.0% "Hmmm, this book takes place in the early 1980s... Should I put it in my historical shelf? LOL!" 3 comments
09/10/2010
49.0% "I wish I could get a sneak peek at Sean's mind. I think I know how he feels about Nick, but it'd be so much better to be sure. :)"
09/10/2010
72.0% "When will these two wake up and smell the coffee? Men! Hmph!"
09/10/2010
100.0% "Strange read. Review to come later..."

message 1: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin loved ur opening formula dina :D

Dina Thanks, Jasmin. :)

DarienMoya Great review Dina, personally I love Valenti and Brian, and I would say don`t read the sequel.

Dina Too late, Darien. I already did - and didn't like it. :(

Man, my last M/M reads have been so disappointing! I need a sure winner!

DarienMoya I meant did you read this one Heart and Soul. I call it the sequel since its a bit longer.

Dina Ah, okay. I didn't read that. I just read the book description and, ick, I'm afraid. I'm very afraid, LOL.

message 7: by Auntee (new)

Auntee "I need a sure winner!"

I'd say it's time for a Naughty Nooner!:)

Nice review, Dina--sorry you were disappointed.:(

DarienMoya STAY AWAY!! Trust Me. I didnt mind it but I know you won`t like it.

Dina Auntee wrote: "I'd say it's time for a Naughty Nooner!:)"

Whaaaa?!? You speak blasphemy, Auntee. Never again, my friend! I've learned my lesson, LOL.

message 10: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina DarienMoya wrote: "STAY AWAY!! Trust Me. I didnt mind it but I know you won`t like it."

Okay, Darien, I trust you. :)

message 11: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Oh come on, just one more? This one looks like it would be right up your alley...

message 12: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina LOL, Auntee, you're relentless! Okay, here's the deal: you read it and tell me if it's good. ;)

message 13: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Nah, I just read an excerpt and it didn't sound too good! lol! I'll pick another for you us...:)

Buggy Great review Dina, I really liked this one, yeah the plot was OTT but I never noticed the lack of O'Brian's character... Interesting. My only complaint was the abrupt resolution to their big case, it was just suddenly solved and over and they were back in their hetro lives.

message 15: by Dina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dina Thanks, Buggy. I can forgive a silly plot if the author makes me care for the characters. Unfortunately, O'Brian failed to win me.