Meredith's Reviews > The Beekeeper's Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Jun 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: mystery

I was really looking forward to this book. One of my favorite series of recent years is the Enola Holmes series by Nancy Springer, which details the adventures of Sherlock's much, much younger sister. So another series starring a teenage girl and Sherlock? Sounds good, right? Eh, kind of.

There are some things I liked about this book. The kidnapping plot was exciting, and the part with the bombs was excellent. I didn't figure out the mystery at all.

A few things I didn't like about this book: The completely crap way that they treat Watson. I'm sorry, Watson is the best character in the original Sherlock Holmes stories, so to turn him into an ineffectual idiot was not only uncool, it was unjust! I was also kind of creeped out by Mary and Holmes' relationship, and not just because I looked at a spoiler for future books.

All in all, I can see why people like it, and I might eventually read more books from the series, but I think that for the most part, when I want a book detailing the adventures of a teenage girl and Sherlock Holmes, I'll stick to Enola.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

Treasa Oh my goodness, I love this book - I love this whole series, in fact. Some of the books in the series I love more than others, of course. But hooray and welcome to the world of Russell & Holmes!

Meredith I think you're the person who recommended it to me! I'm excited to read them.