Graham's Reviews > The Citadel of Chaos

The Citadel of Chaos by Steve   Jackson

May 24, 10

bookshelves: choose-your-own-adventure
Read in May, 2010, read count: 2

More nostalgia as I dug out this follow-up to THE WARLOCK OF FIRETOP MOUNTAIN to see how it's held up all these years. These are the books I absolutely loved as a kid (and ones which gave me a life-long love of fantasy).

CITADEL is short but effective. The plot is virtually the same as in WARLOCK, except this time you need to infiltrate a citadel instead of a mountain. Once again the aim is assassination, with the excellently-named 'Balthus Dire' your main target.

There are a few differences, mainly that you're a mage here, with access to a handful of handy spells. It added interest to the game. Otherwise, it's fairly linear, following passageways, choosing to open doors, fighting rhino-men and goblin/giant hybrids. The enemies seemed a little easier than in other adventures.

We ended up trapped in a prison cell, not having the right spells with us, so we lost the game. It seemed a little unfair but that's the fun of these books: you never know what's going to happen next or what you might need...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Citadel of Chaos.