Cassie's Reviews > The Novice

The Novice by Trudi Canavan

May 27, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, fantasy
Read from May 26 to 27, 2010

This second book of the Black Magician Trilogy is about Sonea's first year as a novice. By the end of the book, answers to several of the questions presented in these first two books are alluded to strongly. I liked Dannyl in the first book, but I didn't particularly enjoy reading about his travels for the most part, though some parts were interesting. I've always liked Akkarin for some reason, so I hope he turns out to be on the right side.

It was more than a little intense to read about Sonea's difficulties during her first year. To be fearful and lonely and bogged down with secrets is a terrible feeling. I thought it was great that Sonea's development lies in developing her skill and not relying on her power. Though there is still discrimination about her slum background, I hope that she does become a pioneer for future slum magicians.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Novice.

05/26/2010 page 1
05/26/2010 page 102
17.68% "I like the magical system - it's interesting to see what's possible, since the magic wasn't expounded on very much in the first book."
05/27/2010 page 205
35.53% "Dannyl's story seems more like a travel guide of the world than something in furtherance of the book. Kind of boring in parts."
show 1 hidden update…