Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Grace

Grace by Elizabeth Scott

Sep 30, 10

bookshelves: ya, dystopian, read-in-2010, own
Read from September 19 to 20, 2010

Elizabeth Scott may be known for her ability to write lighthearted romantic books with these incredibly realistic characters, but she can certainly do dark just as well. Grace tells the story of a suicide bomber who decides that she doesn’t want to die. Defying the People and the beliefs that have been instilled in her mind her entire life is beyond anguishing for her.

Grace feels shame towards herself for not whole-heartedly believing in the life she was raised to have. A girl born to die. The world that she lives in may not be so unlike our own. It’s a terrifying fact, but our world is centered around power, as is Grace’s. The power that one man possesses can destroy the lives of many and Grace lives that everyday.

On her journey for freedom, Grace encounters a young man about her age. The things she learns from him are insurmountable compared to the things she has been taught in the past. A few days and a train ride give her the startling realization that the People that raised her and proclaimed she was born to die, may not be all that better than the Keran Berj, the man ruling the land ruthlessly, ordering death with the twitch of a hand.

Elizabeth Scott has surprised me once again with this shockingly and potentially, plausibly, maybe even probably, realistic take on suicide bombers and the pain they harbor inside of them. Grace is young and should be innocent, but that is all taken from her. Stolen. And after everything that she has gone through, all she wants is life. I don’t think that’s too much to ask for, but in her world, it’s unthinkable. Unforgivable. Shameful.

The writing style is so unique here because the sentences are clipped, succinct, and completely direct. The near lack of dialogue surprised me at first, but it feels right. To truly understand what Grace is going through, we need to be in her head, knowing her thoughts and feeling her emotions. Much of the book is introspective and it’s despairing to see how much Grace has gone through in such a short time. It’s unlikely that I’ll ever forget Grace and her struggle for life.

Grace is a haunting tale of a world filled with death and destruction; Sacrifice and pain. Nothing is quite as it seems and the Angels in this world are harbingers of death disguised as young girls. It’s a story of a girl struggling to survive, but also about a bigger picture. A picture that depicts a war that has no winners and no right and wrong, only the lives lost along the way. This story will make you open your eyes to both sides of war and make you see the innocent people caught in the middle.

Opening line: I’m afraid my hair is showing. ~ pg. 3

Favorite line(s): Sometimes, I don’t think there is anything beyond what is here, what is now. I think that maybe beyond this world – this train, this desert we are passing through, this heat swelling all around – there is nothing. ~ pg. 28

To be so young and so cruel – he was the end of the world made flesh. ~ pg. 114

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grace.