Jake Losh's Reviews > Malaysia Singapore and Brunei

Dec 26, 12

bookshelves: travel, non-fiction, reference
Recommended for: Anyone traveling to Malaysia, Singapore and/or Brunei
Read from May 23 to July 31, 2010

In my travels throughout Malaysia and Singapore, I've found this book to be marginally useful. If you're completely at a loss for what to do, you can usually look to this book for some kind of idea, but sadly most of the suggestions revolve around bland museums, shopping and eating. The book pays an inordinate amount of attention to Sabah and Sarawak, as if jungle trekking were the only thing people come to Malaysia for. The historical treatment is quite biased to the UK perspective and also inconsistent in places. Also, some of the phrases in the Malay phrase guide are wrong or else funny, leading to some potentially embarrassing gaffes.

If you are planning a trip to the region, this book is still worthy of a purchase, but be aware of its limitations and be seek suggestions from locals or other travelers for different activities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Malaysia Singapore and Brunei.

05/23/2010 page 129
19.79% "Finished reading about KL. Now on to Selangor!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I didn't know that you traveled across Malaysia! Awesome, I'm Malaysian!

Yeah, don't trust any guide a white person gives you to the country.

message 2: by Jake (last edited Jul 31, 2010 08:34PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jake Losh I'm still here in Malaysia. Typing this. Right now!