Camille's Reviews > Pictures at an Exhibition

Pictures at an Exhibition by Sara Houghteling

May 27, 10

bookshelves: audiobook-listen, 2010, wwii, historical-fiction
Read in May, 2010

Narrator has a good French accent. Not sure what I think about the book. Subject is very interesting so far. WWII, stolen art.

There were many things I liked about this book. Houghteling did a great job of selling the setting to me. I could smell the Gauloise cigsand the Parisian quai, and the French countryside.

Ultimately, despite the fascinating subject matter, I decided the characters I wanted to know the most about were only seen through the narrator, Max. I wanted to know more about Rose, the heroic gallery assistant who did her best to track the shipments of art stolen by the Nazis. She tells Max her story, which he reported but I would have liked to have seen it through her eyes. I understood Maxs zeal for finding the paintings that belonged to his father's art gallery before the war. His quest was intriguing. His discovery of the FAMILY SECRET left him paralyzed and so upset he could barely function though. I guess it was a big surprise and maybe his parents should have told him but, c'mon. Really? I just could not connect to that part of the story.

Still, I did want to finish and it concluded well.
I did like the book but didn't love it. It was OK Plus. 2.5 stars which I suppose should round up to 3 stars.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pictures at an Exhibition.