elissa's Reviews > Birthmarked

May 28, 10

bookshelves: youngadult, sciencefiction, my_10s_reads, 2010favorites
Recommended to elissa by: Captiol Choices
Read from May 21 to 28, 2010

Definitely had a good start, but I found it to be slightly uneven. Dystopic futuristic atmosphere was very good, and reminded me of Handmaid's Tale, partly because of the reproductive aspects involved in the plot. World building good, characters interesting, plot was compelling and moved the reader along. I guess sometimes the coincidences didn't always work for me (like when the main character meets just the person who can help her in an alley--a man who she's never met before--right when she needs help), and sometimes the writing pulled me out of the story, especially near the end. Ending is one of those very ambigious ones that often annoys readers. I usually just choose to be hopeful, but I really would have liked to see what would happen next to Gaia and the baby, and also how things turned out for Leon. There's definitely room for a sequel here! I'd probably read something else of O'Brien's. 3 1/2 stars, and since I still don't have 12 books on my 2010favorites, this can sit there for awhile. Love the colored stringy lines on the cover!

12/8: I keep not wanting to take this off of my 2010favorites shelf, so I guess it's a true 4 stars. Not sure what about it is staying with me better than I thought it would. It is well done dystopian SF, so it may just be that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthmarked.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Trishnyc (new) - added it

Trishnyc I just read the part where she meets the man who will help her get into the enclave. I was so surprised at the coincidence. Seems like a cheap plot device. But there is enough here to keep me reading so I will continue.

elissa Trish~Even with that coincidence, it was one of my favorite books of last year. Hopefully her next book won't have any more cheap plot devices! :)