Sheina Sakhrani's Reviews > Farewell to Manzanar: A True Story of Japanese American Experience During and After the World War II Internment

Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston

Jun 06, 10

liked it

If I saw the book Farewell to Manzanar in a library, I wouldn't have picked it up voluntarily. The cover does not "speak to me" as other books do. When I began the book, I didn't have any knowledge about what happened to the Japanese during the war. This book gave me a vivid insight into what a normal Japanese girl must have felt during this time. I wasn't sure how a true story about the past was going to interest me. All I knew was that I had to read this book for school. After reading the first few chapters, I had no longing to read more. Throughout the story I was confused about what was happening. The author described the past, present, and future at the same time which made it even more confusing. Jeanne's feelings, however, were so intriguing because she always wanted to be accepted as a person not as foreign. Papa's presence in the story affected the story greatly and made it more interesting. I feel there wasn't a well-developed plot which is why many readers find it "boring". The author described the setting in a way that I felt that I was there. The part that I will remember the most about the book is when Jeanne wanted to be accepted. It symbolizes the way many people feel today and it shows us that we are all equal no matter how we look or where we come from. I wouldn't recommend this to young readers because I don't think that they will fully appreciate the significance of the true story and how extraordinary it is. More of the older and educated historical fans would really understand and enjoy this story. Also, there were many other Japanese who went through the same things and maybe even worse. They probably would want to see what others experienced during the same time. This was not the best book I have ever read but it gave me a lot of information about the past that I never knew.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farewell to Manzanar.