Eric Wisdahl's Reviews > The Sorcerer's House

The Sorcerer's House by Gene Wolfe

May 23, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from May 23 to 29, 2010

The story in this book is told through a collection of letters. This idea is certainly not new, but it does possibly introduce a new element to Wolfe's work. As is common among many of Wolfe's novels, we must at least assume that it is possible that we have an unreliable narrator (or narrators, or curator). As is often the case, we must also assume that important events are probably happening "off-camera". The main question to ask with this style of story telling is, how much of the story should we take at face value? Particularly as the majority of it is coming from a man we know to be a liar, i.e. a con-man convicted of fraud. Furthermore, how many, if any of the events "on-camera" are out of order?

With that said, the book can, of course, be read through with none of these questions being asked or answered and still be an entertaining read. The interplay between real and fairy, the mysteries of the many sets of twins, the magic, the supernatural... all of these elements make for an entertaining read. One which I plan on revisiting shortly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sorcerer's House.