Jennifer's Reviews > The Postcard Killers

The Postcard Killers by James Patterson

Jun 13, 10

bookshelves: arc, received-for-review, received-in-2010, mystery-suspense-thriller, read-in-2010
Read from June 07 to 08, 2010

I am a Patterson junkie. I admit it. I'm not ashamed of it. Yes, he spits out novels like an assembly line, but I eagerly anticipate each and every book that he produces. Although I enjoyed The Postcard Killers, it wasn't one of my favorite Patterson books. I didn't feel any real connection to the characters in the story. I didn't really care what happened to them. I felt that the romance between the the male and female protagonist was forced and unnatural. Their relationship actually made me uncomfortable. One minute they are discussing horrific murders and the next they are in bed together? After just meeting? I just can't buy into that.

The overall story was interesting, but didn't really hold my attention that well. It takes place mainly in Sweden, which I found to be a unique location and not one that I've seen in other Patterson books. I really enjoyed this change in locale from other Patterson novels. I do not know anything about the geography of Sweden, so I would be curious to know how accurate the descriptions were in this book.

The story is about a couple who travel around Europe committing murders and posing their victims to resemble famous paintings. A bit of a strange plot, but interesting, nonetheless. I know practically zero about art and art history so the descriptions of painters and paintings had me glazed over at times. Although I can appreciate art, it is not something that I have a strong interest in, so this book wasn't exciting for me as some of Patterson's previous works.

This is a quick read with Patterson's trademark 2-3 page chapters and easily read in a day or so. It's an interesting story, but not one of my favorites by Patterson - just a middle-of-the-road story for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postcard Killers.