Ruth's Reviews > The Heart Speaks: A Cardiologist Reveals the Secret Language of Healing

The Heart Speaks by Mimi Guarneri

F_50x66
May 23, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction
read count: 2

213 pages. Donated 2010 May.

Every day, 2,600 Americans die of cardiovascular disease -- and despite remarkable interventional and surgical procedures, over 650,000 new heart attacks occur annually. In The Heart Speaks, Dr. Mimi Guarneri reveals groundbreaking new research that the heart is a multilayered, complex organ, possessing intelligence, memory, and decision-making abilities independent from the mind -- and that healing the heart can have more to do with healing the mind and soul than we ever knew.

From childhood in a family riddled with heart disease to a medical career facing the pounding heartbeats of cardiac emergencies, Dr. Guarneri draws us into the intimate moments of life and death, and leads us on a riveting exploration of the heart's many mysteries. Through her compelling memoir we see that it is only by knowing the whole heart -- its mental, emotional, spiritual, and universal aspects -- that we can truly heal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart Speaks.