MaryKay's Reviews > An Edible History of Humanity

An Edible History of Humanity by Tom Standage

Dec 31, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, did-not-finish
Read from June 12 to December 31, 2010

This book has been slow, dry reading. It's a series of historical facts about food. It feels like there should be a footnote citation for every paragraph. Perhaps it would be more meaningful to me if I had depth of knowledge about ancient Egyptian, Mesopotamian, and Incan cultures in order to give these food facts some social context.

I really enjoyed to book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver because her book was entertaining. Her stories kept me engaged and made me think of the food I eat and where it comes from. What I eat stems from convenience, economy, and taste. The points Kingsolver shared that struck me are that I don't believe that animals should be mistreated while they are being raised for food. I also believe there is value to biodiversity and caution in the overuse of protroleum based fertilizers and pesticides.

Mr. Standages book was not entertaining and did not keep me engaged. On page 102 he speaks against the local food movement. To me the local food movement is more about an awareness of how my food is grown than about the transportation costs. I still do most of my shopping at large chain grocery stores, but I hope that the farmers in my local county will continue to excite. I want to find ways to support them while maintaining my own food preparation values of economy and convenience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Edible History of Humanity.

06/25/2010 page 50