S.D.'s Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith

May 25, 10

bookshelves: mystery-historical
Read from May 23 to 24, 2010

What a delightful twist on history! At an early age young Abe mourned the loss of his mother until he found out how she died. He vowed to rid the world of vampires so he set off to find out everything he could about them. His father wasn’t much of a role model, preferring to only work enough and make enough to keep the family fed and clothed. But his father had a gift of storytelling which Abe learned and prepared him to be the great speechmaker he became. In his personal hunt for vampires Abe comes across a vampire who also wants to rid the world of vampires, those that take young children and defenseless women. Henry teaches teen-Abe more about vampires. Henry has been around for centuries and knows which ones deserve to be killed. He sends Abe cryptic letters with information on where to find his next kill. All of this cleverly blends real history with the author’s imagination as Abe marries, has children of his own, enters politics, fights to free the slaves, agonizes over the lives lost in the Civil War (knowing that the Confederates had help from vampires who wanted to continue using slaves for their next meal) and on through to his assassination. Although this book was from my local library, I will buy a copy because I want to re-read it. (I think old Abe is somewhere on “Dexter’s” family tree!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.