Ronyell's Reviews > Princess Academy

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

When I read “Rapunzel’s Revenge” and “Calamity Jack,” I became more interested into Shannon Hale’s works and “Princess Academy” was certainly no exception! “Princess Academy” is a Newbery Honor Book from the imaginative mind of Shannon Hale and it is about a fourteen year old girl named Miri who is taken away from her family to be taught how to be a princess in a princess academy, while trying hard to accomplish the goal of being the academy princess. “Princess Academy” is truly one of the most brilliant fairy tale retellings ever created!

Never have I seen a book so well written since J.K. Rowling’s popular Harry Potter series and Shannon Hale has done a magnificent job at writing this book. Shannon Hale makes this book extremely exciting as the audience sees all the tough trials that each girl from Mount Eskel have to go through in order to become civilized princesses before the Prince arrives to the academy. Also, Shannon Hale has done a great job at making the story somewhat intense, especially when Olana at first treats the girls in a cruel manner and locks them up in a closet and also when Miri has to compete with Katar, another brilliant girl to be academy princess and many adults would love to see so much tension build up between the characters which makes the story exciting to read through. The character who stood out the most in this book is Miri herself as she is shown to be a strong and independent girl who would defy Olana’s rules of the academy in order to save the other girls’ lives. Miri shows the true power of a kind heart as she was willing to put everyone’s needs before her own and even being kind to her rival, Katar as Miri tries to understand the other girls’ problems and try to figure out a way to solve their problems. Miri is truly a great role model for women who want to stand up for what they believe is right and to always be kind to everyone, no matter if they are your enemies or friends.

“Princess Academy” is truly an inspiring story that teaches people how to stand up for what you believe is right and to just be yourself, even if you are put through training to become a proper princess! If anyone wants a book about princesses, adventure, romance, and fierce determination, then this is the book for you!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess Academy.

06/01/2010 page 124
36.9% "This book is getting really good!!!!"
06/02/2010 page 178
52.98% "The plot thickens!!"
06/03/2010 page 212
63.1% "Guess who's academy princess!!!"
06/05/2010 page 264
78.57% "Uh oh! Trouble's brewing!!"
06/06/2010 page 336
100.0% "Finished the book and it was great!!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Ronyell, I think you liked this even more than I did, and I did enjoy it. That's interesting that you mention the Harry Potter books. While I don't know if I agree they are the very best written books ever, I do think that J.K. Rowling is a very gifted storyteller; I adore the Harry Potter books. I see that you've got Shannon Hale's The Goose Girl on your currently reading shelf. I'll be interested what you think of it.

Ronyell Thanks Lisa!