Lisa (Harmonybites)'s Reviews > Pawn of Prophecy

Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings

May 23, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, ultimate-reading-list, novels, fiction
Read from May 20 to 23, 2010, read count: 1

I can't quite make up my mind whether I like this one enough to try the next book in the series. On the negative side, this one is a bit too reminiscent of Lord of the Rings and too many other fantasy tales without bringing anything all that original to the mix. It's no ripoff like Sword of Shannara, but there is this ordinary young lad, Garion, on a farm with a destiny (tm) who picks up companions on a quest involving a dark object coveted by a dark lord. Like Garion, I also find it a bit much to swallow that two characters are seven thousand years old--maybe because the author just doesn't make them wise or strange or alien enough in ways to set them apart--you don't feel the weight of those ages. I also got exactly who Garion is from about page one, and even though the book does give reasons why he'd be in the dark (his Aunt raised him on an isolated farm and he was never taught to read) I felt impatient for him to catch up with me, the reader. On the other hand, the style, while not lovely was serviceable, and this really zipped past. It's as if I sat down, read the first sentence, and when I looked up again much of the day was past and the book over. I did like Polgara who for me was the standout character--all the more so for being a female character in the testosterone-laden high fantasy genre and not, unlike Garion, one of a type I feel I've read hundreds of times before. If I read another book in the series, it will be to read more of her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pawn of Prophecy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by PC (new)

PC Wheeler I have to urge you to read the rest of the series! If only because I picked up the Belgariad when I was 11 or 12 and it made me fall in love with high fantasy! If not for Mr. Eddings, I would never have read Tolkein and so many others and my life would not be the same. Drastic, I know, but when you're a kid, books do make drastic impact.

Eddings plot and world building is indeed quite formulaic and his writing is not exactly the words of a poet, but I think it's his characters that really shine. As an adult, I reread the Belgarion and it's sequel, and there were some things that definitely annoyed me about Eddings' writing, but I still loved his characters as much as I did when I was a kid. I think this is one that I will read to my daughter when she is old enough.

Indecently, Edding's wife is credited in later works, and I believe she is the voice of Polgara and many of the other strong female characters.

Lisa (Harmonybites) Heh--I was going to pass you know. Pawn of Prophecy just felt a bit too the routine village lad-is-really-a-prince tale (tm)--except for Polgara. I'd moved on to the next on my "recommended fantasy" list, Feist's Talon of the Silver Hawk which I'm enjoying but also feels a bit on the routine side. But since you love the series, after that I'll give the next in the Belgariad, Queen of Sorcery a try. (It really helps, having at least one strong female character in keeping me interested--I'm still waiting for one to show up in Feist's novel and I'm half-way through.)