Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)'s Reviews > One Dance with a Duke

One Dance with a Duke by Tessa Dare

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, fugly-cover, hero-i-wanna-hug, pdf-kindle
Read from October 15 to 17, 2011

Review @ Under the Covers

3.5 Stars

Amelia isn't impressed with the Duke of Midnight. He descends upon a ball at midnight dances a set with one of the young and the brainless before leaving again, the ladies sighs of both desire and fear follow in his wake. However, her wastrel brother owes him money so when he next makes his melodramatic entrance she commendeers his hand; however, little does she know that that one action will cause her life to change drastically.

I know 3.5 stars doesn't seem like much, especially as I did really enjoy this book. I liked the hero Spencer, The Duke of Midnight, he was arrogant in a way only a Duke and a hero of a romance novel can be and yet still have you lusting after him. He was also endearingly vulnrable as well at times, which just made him even more irrestible. And Amelia, I have mixed thoughts on the heroine of this story, most the time she was witty and sensible and I really liked her. BUT when it can to her brother she was totally blind. Her brother Jack was a complete leech, he takes and takes and takes from her and gambles it all away, but still she keeps on giving him more, he take complete advantage of her loving and nurturing nature and it really bugged me how blind she was to it, especially when it almost ruined her marriage to Spencer! This complete stupidity really really annoyed me and it tainted how much I liked her.

But, the writing in this was really good I liked her style, she creates a window in to her story, showing you her well crafted characters through dialogue, which flowed naturally and description that never bogged you down with too much unnecessary detail. I think what has stopped me from giving this more then 3.5 stars was that although I liked it, I didn't love it, it didn't have that extra spark that makes me think I will be remembering this book for a while to come. It made me smile, it was romantic, I liked the characters but nothing jumped out at me as being fantastic.

This was a great read, despite what seems a luke warm review, I do recommend you read this if you are looking for a good romance with likable characters and great writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Dance with a Duke.

10/15/2011
1.0% "This has been on my shelf for freaking ever!" 17 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany B. (last edited Jun 22, 2012 11:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brittany B. I agree with your review. I do like it too. It's very romantic. This is an author I plan to follow. I like her writing.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I liked this, but I have to say, the whole series was just a little meh for me. BUT, it had an interesting back story going all the way through the trilogy

Brittany B. I'm disappointed with Amelie's deciding to leave toward the end of the book. It's generic. Nearly every historical I've read lately has the H/h leaving each other and getting back together. Ugh!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Yeah, Amelia does make some questionable decisions, that is why this only got 3.5 stars. I hated how she stuck up for her brother.

Kathleen I felt the same way about her brother. She let him exploit her good nature to the nth degree. You're right, she was blind about him.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I remember that really bugging me when I read it, I liked the heroine a lot but her thing with her brother ruined it a little! Have you read the rest of the series?

Kathleen No, I didn't like the whole story line. I do like her new series, about the community for society's misfitting females.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I read it through and I have to say... it wasn't the best it was just one of those "okay" series that I don't really remember that well.

Oh is that the Spindle Cove? Spinster Cove? Or something like that anyways lol Funny enough i was talking to someone about those the other day as i wasn't sure if I wanted to try them or not, but everyone says they are good, I may have to pick them up.

Kathleen Yes, right! I think it's called Spindle Cove. There are about 4 books out now. The first one is not my favorite, but I loved the others. Haven't written any review yet. Still have to read the most recent one.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Cool, I am definitely going to try and get my hands on them, they sound like my kind of books! I love the kind of wallflower/spinster/plain jane ones!

Kathleen Good!