Abby's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Jun 01, 2010

Read from May 24 to 30, 2010

This was one of the best books I have read in a long time. I really enjoyed the touching stories of the women. I felt that all the characters were very well developed and that they each had their unique voices as they narrated. I would get so involved in each woman as I was reading that I did not want to switch narrator, but then I would get sucked into the next one. The women were so strong in their own ways in the book! I found the villian, Hilly, to be so horrible and it was so true what the other women would say about her, that men were far less scary because they would persecute and move on. A woman would chip away at you until there is nothing left. This is unfortunately so true! I would rather fight with a man than a woman any day.

I was so glad to get some perspective into this time of judgement and fear. I was glad to see that some of the relationships among the help and their families were good and based on respect. I thought the ending was very profound and even though I cried like a baby, I felt the closure involved for each character. I would recommend this book to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.