Emily's Reviews > Hidden Agendas

Hidden Agendas by Lora Leigh

May 22, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed-books

I'm a big fan of the Breeds series from Lora Leigh so I decided to branch out and read some of her other books. Hidden Agendas is part of her Tempting SEALS series, and while this book had all the spice and sizzle of her Breeds books, I just didn't connect with this book as much as I thought I would.

The main characters were likeable enough by themselves, but the minute they had to interact with each other or with anyone else they kind of turned into babbling ninnies- Emily Stanton survived a kidnapping by a vicious drug lord and has been bucking off her dad's protection ever since. She does this through a whole bunch of passive aggressive "research" endeavors for some fabled book she's supposed to be writing. All this does is get her into odd and awkward situations; she reminded me of a petulant teenager, and one who doesn't seem to realize that getting kidnapped and almost murdered isn't a standard experience at that.

Kell, on the other hand, has the required tortured past and hidden secrets which, naturally, are revealed at a really awkward time. He has strong feelings for Emily that kind of pop up out of nowhere- there's some back story between the two characters but it never felt all that convincing to me. Maybe this is because the only time Kell really gets to say anything is while he and Ms. Stanton are scorching the sheets; suffice it to say, he says a lot, but it's the same things over and over again.

The whole story about the drug lord and the mission that all the agents were supposed to be on just didn't work for me. Maybe it's because this isn't the first book in the series, I could have missed some back story that way, but I wasn't always sure what was going on, who was involved, or why we should care.

Meh. I don't know what, specifically it is about this book that made me not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Usually Lora Leigh's books bring out a torrent of emotion and are kind of like a roller coaster ride; this one just fell flat for me. Even the happily ever after didn't strike me as all that special. I'll probably read another book in the series just to give it a fair shake, but I'll go on record now to say that so far, the Breeds series has it all over this one.

Overall Grade: C

Read more reviews at What Book is That?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Agendas.