Jessica's Reviews > The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious - and Perplexing - City

The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz

Jun 11, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read from May 22 to 29, 2010

I'm never quite sure what to do with the book-with-interspersed-recipes genre. Am I actually supposed to read the recipes along with the rest of the book? And when I finish the book, does it go on my bookshelves or in the kitchen with my cookbooks?

Having tried a couple of recipes in this book, I think I'm going to classify it as a regular book and put it with all my other non-cookery books. Lebovitz is a smart, funny writer, who has a lot of great insights about life in Paris but manages to put a very David Sedaris-like humorous twist to everything he says. He's a professional chef, so much but not nearly all he has to talk about relates to food, and every chapter ends with recipes. Some of them sound delicious, but neither of the ones I tried impressed me that much (though I LOVE Lebovitz's ice cream cookbook, The Perfect Scoop), so I would definitely recommend reading this for the narrative and not so much for its kitchen potential.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Life in Paris.