Emily's Reviews > Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas

Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas by Tom Robbins

Aug 02, 10

bookshelves: keeper-shelf, reviewed-books

Tom Robbins is my favorite author and has been for a long time, but I'm almost ashamed to admit that I hadn't read Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas until now. I think it's because I've not yet read a Robbins book I didn't like so I didn't feel pressured to read it. I'm glad I moved it to the top of my pile though, as the head trip that comprised the story was definitely worth exploring.

Tom Robbins is not an author to read if you need your books to start at point A and end at point Z and progress in a logical and linear fashion with no tangents, tightly packaged and locked in, following a standard formula and complete with a happily ever after. These things are all well and good but are not present in a Tom Robbins novel.

Reading his work is a lot like using the spin the bottle method of picking turns on a road trip. You don't know where you'll end up and backtracking is almost out of the question, but somehow, some way, you end up where you wanted to go. Or maybe you don't; maybe you end up somewhere totally different that you've never heard of or thought about and that's just fine too.

It's so hard to talk about what goes in the story because everything is tied into everything else- the cast of characters is outrageous, the storylines are a big, knotty, candy-covered puzzle, and through it all run themes that are still as relevant today as they were when the book first came out. It's a book to read in segments and to think about between readings; with that said, it's easy to get sucked in and read it all in one go.

Overall Grade A, if grading this kind of book is even really possible.

Read more reviews at What Book is That?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas.