Lilly G's Reviews > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

Feb 02, 09

Read in February, 2009

For all the hype this book had behind it, I didn't think in a million years it could live up. It really did though.

The story takes a while to warm up, but once you have your bearings in the family and the back and forth between the east coast and DR, you can enjoy Junot Diaz's writing style, which is out of this world. Usually you read a story for the action; for what happens in it. I found myself just enjoying his writing style so much that I didn't really care where the story went. The best way I can describe it is if Gabriel Garcia Marquez and a slam poet had a baby. The cadence of the narrative is infectious, and unlike anything I"ve read before.

So thankful to my friend who recommended it, off to ask her for more recommendations!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

01/29/2009 page 100

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new) - added it

Dave Russell The best way I can describe it is if Gabriel Garcia Marquez and a slam poet had a baby.

Haha. This line sounds like it came from a pitch meeting. "Ok, this book's a combination of Jane Austen and Harry Potter, but set in outer space." I guess you've sat through a couple of those types of meetings?

Lilly G i know that sounds like a hokey pitch, but it's actually right in this case.

i've hear some of the WORST pitches ever. you have no idea. everything is harry potter with a twist. barf. if i get pitched another Larry Blotter book, i'll be sick.