'chris d's Reviews > Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History

Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson

May 22, 10

Read in May, 2010

As a returning student I took a science course in Meteorology. Another returning student recommended this book and after finals, I got Isaac's Storm from my local library.

The book centers on a meteorologist from the turn of the 20th century-1900. At the time, there was a certain Euro-American arrogance about their use of technology and the fact that America was experiencing a boom time. The thinking was almost child-like, if it wasn't the fact that people's lives were effected.

Isaac Cline was the chief meteorologist for the state of Texas and lived in Galveston, which was an up and coming boom town. Cuban meteorolgists warned local American officials that a dangerous hurricane was headed for the states. They dismissed their findings and the mainland was never warned.

Erik Larson weaves a terrifying tale of bureaucracy, arrogrance and natural forces beyond imagination. I live in Illinois and when I stopped reading the book, I found myself checking my window to see if everything was ok.

My only criticism is that some of the information about hurricane formation may be dry and hard to follow. I found it very well done but I'm not sure I would have thought that if I had not taken my college course.

Overall, I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Isaac's Storm.