Yasmine Alfouzan's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: fiction, 52-books, general-fiction
Read from January 29 to February 06, 2011

I am still not sure how I feel about The Road.
I did enjoy it at times and the ending made me feel emotional, but not as much as I expected. Is it normal to feel guilty for not absolutely loving this highly praised post-apocalyptic novel? Cormac McCarthy is a talented writer and he has a unique style; However, reading this book was kind of like reading a movie script. It was, I dare say, kind of dull at the beginning with his endless description of gray landscape (till reading this book, I had no idea that you could use that many words to describe how gray ashes are). It was also depressing (which I don't mind) and slow-paced. It had a lot of potential to be MUCH more engrossing. There are good things about this book but I can't quite put my finger on them. You definitely find yourself attached to the main characters by the end of it. It surprised me.
Overall, it was a good read. I cannot recommend it nor not recommend it. Just read it if you like post-apocalyptic novels and see for yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Linah I had the same feeling, you feel emotional because of what happens and it's just so miserable that you cannot really LIKE it but, as you said, you get a bit attached to the characters.

I was disappointed at the end, I got a "that's it?" feeling. Meh.

Yasmine Alfouzan Linah AlNamlah wrote: "I had the same feeling, you feel emotional because of what happens and it's just so miserable that you cannot really LIKE it but, as you said, you get a bit attached to the characters.

I was disap..."

Yeah, same here. The end didn't do it for me so much. I mean, the way it generally ended was fine, but he could have cared to add a few pages there to explain what happened with the boy or what are his thoughts.

I was going to give it 2 stars, but felt it to be slightly bit unfair, since it was between 2 and 3.

All I know is, I am not reading another McCarthy novel since this was the easiest and I was like... FRUSTRATED! Haha.