Chachic's Reviews > Saving Francesca

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

Aug 08, 2014

bookshelves: physical-owned-copies, aussie-books, ya-contemps-recs
Read from March 20 to 22, 2012

Reread this for Marchetta Madness, I think I was able to appreciate it more as a reread. :) Now looking forward to rereading about Tom in The Piper's Son.

_____________________________

May 2010 review: Originally posted in WordPress.

I loved that Francesca was sent to study in a previously all-boys Catholic school and she's clearly out of her element. None of her friends from her former school are with her and the school is still adjusting to having girls studying there. Added to that are Francesca's problems at home. Her formerly vibrant and super active mother suddenly just stopped getting out of bed and this affects the whole tight-knit family. But as Francesca adjusts to her environment and learns how to deal with her situation, she slowly comes to her own and her true self shines forth. She realizes that her friends from her old school held her back and that it's okay to be a show off, to be crazy wonderful, unpredictable and fun, which of course, greatly confuses logical Will Trombal. Oh Will Trombal with the intense gaze, always trying to follow a plan. I love how frustrated he is that he can't control what he's feeling and he can't always control where his life goes. Add to that the eclectic mix of Sebastian friends, all of whom have unique personalities, that Francesca collects along the way. This is a heartwarming story of finding (and saving) yourself. That is not to say that it doesn't have its fair amount of humor. There's enough witty banter in the novel to make it lighthearted.

And because I'm Filipino, I have to mention the Filipino reference in the book, we tend to notice these kinds of things. It was said in the book that Eva Rodriguez' parents came from the Philippines and she's described as having "the usual Spanish-and-Filipino mix of caramelized skin and almond-shaped eyes." Sounds alluring and beautiful, I wish I looked like that. Another thing I envy about her is that she can hip hop! I'm a frustrated dancer with no skills whatsoever. Okay, enough with the Eva envy. Just wanted to get that out of my system.

To those who've read and enjoyed Jellicoe Road, I highly recommend this one as well. It's different but just as lovely. I have a feeling that Melina Marchetta's other books will be good also and I can't wait to read them.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Francesca.

Quotes Chachic Liked

Melina Marchetta
“I can't believe I said it out loud. The truth doesn't set you free, you know. It makes you feel awkward and embarrassed and defenseless and red in the face and horrified and petrified and vulnerable. But free? I don't feel free. I feel like shit.”

Melina Marchetta
“A piece of me is gone," she told me once while we were bra shopping. "I think we're made up of all these different pieces and every time someone goes, you're left with less of yourself.”

Melina Marchetta
“It's a weird smile, but it reaches his eyes and I bottle it. And I put it in my ammo pack that's kept right next to my soul and Justine's spirit and Siobhan's hope and Tara's passions. Because if I'm going to wake up one morning and not be able to get out of bed, I'm going to need everything I've got to fight this disease that could be sleeping inside of me.”

Melina Marchetta
“He bursts out laughing. It's short, as if he regretted allowing me to make him laugh, but the satisfaction's already mine.”

Melina Marchetta
“The depression belongs to all of us. I think of the family down the road whose mother was having a baby and they went around the neighborhood saying, "We're pregnant." I want to go around the neighborhood saying, "We're depressed." If my mum can't get out of bed in the morning, all of us feel the same. Her silence has become ours, and it's eating us alive.”

03/20/2012 page 5
2.0% "#MarchettaMadness has reminded me that I need to reread this as well as The Piper's Son."
03/21/2012 page 39
16.0% ""Thomas Mackee constantly burps loudly in class, and sometimes he tries to make a tune out of his burps. The song with the most requests is "Teenage Dirtbag", and it's actually fascinating to watch the level of appreciation for such a talent. These guys fart a lot as well."" 2 comments
03/22/2012 page 187
77.0% ""We start term three with a House meeting, and I get to look at Will Trombal for a whole twenty minutes while he speaks. He is a man of minimal words, Will is. His stares are long, his pauses never-ending, and he always thinks before he speaks. He has a quiet confidence devoid of ego, and earnestness and sincerity I find confronting to witness." Why hello there, Will!"
03/22/2012 page 194
80.0% ""Having boys at camp is hard. You have to be on the alert. Boys, for example, like exposing themselves. They walk back from the shower blocks with their towels around them, and the next minute either someone flashes at you, or one of his friends grabs his towel and makes a run for it. I have to say it's a bit traumatic at times, not knowing when the next penis will appear.""

Emily Ellsworth Oooh. I'm getting this one on audio in just a couple days.

Aly (Fantasy4eva) oh man, if you loved this then you will adore The pipers Son. Getting inside Tom's dead is this whole other experience. Glad that you loved this too. I loved it even more after a reread. :)

Chachic Emily, I hope you enjoy listening to this! Make sure you also have The Piper's Son on hand because Saving Francesca will make you want to read its companion novel.

Aly, LOL is your comment for me or for Emily? I've read all of MM's novels, I just wanted to reread this one because Marchetta Madness. :)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) omg i can't belive i thought you hadn't read PS even though i'm now sure i've read your ps review and even liked it! LMFAO, talk about having a moment :D i so need to reread ps too. i miss tom and the girls :)

Chachic Don't worry about it! I'm excited to finally read Francesca and Piper together. I wasn't able to do that before because I had to wait for Piper to be released. I'm pretty sure I'm still going to love all of them.