Kathy's Reviews > Lisey's Story

Dec 13, 07

bookshelves: stephen-king
Read in January, 2006

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lisey's Story.

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Dabrowski ive had this book for like a year and still havent read it. is it worth the time?

thanks
paul

message 2: by Kathy (last edited Jan 09, 2008 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathy Danse,
I definitely say Lisey's Story is worth reading! I haven't read a Stephen King book that wasn't! Sure I might like some more than others, but I loved them all!

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Dabrowski thanks. I got it as a gift and it's just sort of been sitting there. I don't, maybe I'll give it a chance...some day...lol

thanks for the info

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Danse, Lisey's story was the most recent King book I read. Here's part of my review below. I did like it, but it wasn't his finest effort. As I said, I feel like King was pulled in two directions while writing this one.

"This is a story of a woman, Lisey, coming to grips with her husband, Scott, dying in his 50's. We see her grappling with her grief, reliving moments of their life together and exploring the depth of her love for her husband. King perfectly captures a complex and intense marriage relationship.

Ah, but this is Stephen King, and it's never that simple, is it? What would a King novel be without a monster, an alternate world next door and some gruesome bloodletting? Yes, he does manage to work it all in...somehow. King seems to be having an identity crisis of sorts these days. He released this novel on the heels of The Cell (I haven't read it, but I can guess that it's more "original" Stephen King with schlock and awe included). King still loves a good horror novel, but he wants some literary respect, too! Hence books like Bag of Bones and Lisey's Story. King is saying, "I can actually WRITE. I'm not about blood and gore all the time." Yet, even when he writes a book like Lisey's Story, he can't seem to help himself. A "Kingism" always slips in there somehow."

Kathy I like what you said about a "Kingism". lol. So true, so true. And would we want it any other way? I sure wouldn't!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely agree, Kathy. I wouldn't want it any other way. No other writer holds my attention like King. Then again, that might say more about me than his writing skills! :)