Cami's Reviews > Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

682023
Dec 13, 2007

bookshelves: general-fiction, favorites, classics
Recommended for: Rachel, those who love Greek myth and/or a well-spun tale or strong women characters.
Read in August, 1996 — I own a copy , read count: 3

I am updating this to remind all my friends on GoodReads who have this amazing book languishing on their to-read shelves that it's time to pick this up and read it!

I love what this book teaches about love and governing those we love. I love the hard lessons the main character, Orual, has to learn and how it all comes back to love. This is a beautiful book. It is a moving book.
At the core, it is a retelling of the Greek myth, Eros and Psyche (a similar tale to Beauty and the Beast). Psyche is sweet, innocent and full of hope. As her mother is dead and her father, the king will have nothing to do with her, she is raised by her older sister and tutor. From the moment, she is born, she has them wrapped around her finger.
Orual is as stiff, strict and ugly as Psyche is charming and beautiful.
When Psyche is offered up to the Gods as a sacrifice, Orual learns that believing has nothing to do with sight and love is about letting go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Till We Have Faces.

Quotes Cami Liked

C.S. Lewis
“Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?”
C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces

message 1: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary Thanks for the poke. I got about a third of the way through it, and other books for school took over. I will have to put it high on my list to finish up.

message 2: by Jake (new) - added it

Jake Thanks for the recommend. I'll look into it.

message 3: by Christie (new) - added it

Christie I totally have yours!

Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton A good book, but not one of Lewis's best. Difficult to follow, a story that rambles...admittedly, it's been almost a decade since I read it, but I think it could have been better plotted.

Cami Not Lewis's best...fiction?
I admit I have no other experience with his fiction and, no offense, but there's a lot here that speaks to me as a woman and a sister that makes it mean more. I also relate to the oldest child thing.
I think he is true to Orual's voice and really, for an old bachelor (most of his life) and all that Lewis is, I think he did an incredible job at capturing Orual and Psyche.

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany You've never read Tales of Narnia? wow.

But seriously, that's cool. I can see that. I did not like it, but I am sure that it has it's fans. I too am an oldest child, but I never got the vibe.

Cami Ok, that's funny.
Yes I've read the Chronicles of Narnia. I'm in the midst of reading them a second time with my son, third time for me.
I guess I'd put them into another section of my brain for this is truly my favorite book and I don't remember that they're by the same man, I guess.
I would say that I think Narnia and Faces are very different though.