Shawna's Reviews > Breaking the Rules

Breaking the Rules by Suzanne Brockmann

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, favorite-romance-series, romantic-suspense, suzanne-brockmann, series-troubleshooters, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, 2011-reads, 4-stars, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, contemporary-romance, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, fake-faux-betrothal-engagement, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, hero-brooding, hero-i-wanna-smack, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-not-enough-groveling, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, heroine-curvy-plump-not-stick-thin, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-plain-jane-ugly-duckling, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, hh-exotic-dancer-stripper, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, i-read-library, married-couples-married-convenience, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, satisfying-secondary-romance, star-crossed-lovers, steam-2-warm, hh-limp-paraplegic-wheelchair, hh-across-the-tracks, hero-undeserving-of-heroine, heroine-destitute-poor, hero-asshat-award-hall-of-shame, fake-pretend-dating-relationship
Recommended for: Fans of SB's Troubleshooters
Read on April 10, 2011

4 stars – Romantic Suspense

I’m a huge Suzanne Brockmann and Troubleshooters series fan, and zany Izzy Zanella has always been one of the most entertaining, endearing characters, so I’ve been anxiously awaiting his story. Unfortunately, this didn’t quite live up to my high expectations, and it’s one of my least favorite books in what has been a mostly spectacular series.

I have to be honest that I’d probably give this an average 3 star rating if it wasn’t Brockmann because it felt overly angsty and dramatic like a freakin’ Jerry Springer episode for most of the book. I mean, talk about some seriously f*cked up, dysfunctional people in need of major counseling. Jeez.

Dan Gillman is such an asshat, and I think Jenn deserves so much better. I never forgave him for that crass comment he made about Jenn being a chunky consolation prize in Hot Pursuit. I just think in the real world Jenn would probably wake up one morning with a big eureka aha “WTF did I do with my life?!” moment and dump Dan and run back to her career in New York.

I still love sweet, funny, adorable, goofy, and protective Izzy, and I came to care about Eden much more than I had before in this. Was I satisfied with their HEA? For the most part, yes, but it sure was a winding and mighty bumpy road to get there. It’s not my favorite addition to the Troubleshooters saga by any means, but Brockmann’s superior storytelling still kept me transfixed as always, so I’m giving this 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking the Rules.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mollie *scoutrmom* Excellent review. I like that you can tell us not only how you felt, but why you felt that way.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Great review. So does Eden grow up and stop acting like a ten-year-old? ;)

Shawna Thanks, Mollie & Krista! LOL! Eden still had her moments, but she did seem to be a bit wiser and showed a deep level of caring for her brother Ben and finally toward Izzy. But holy cow, there was soooo much drama in this!

Auntee Not a fan of Dan, huh? I really thought that Brockmann was (view spoiler) But I really think he loves Jenn--you didn't get that feeling?

Colleen I had very similar thoughts on this book too. I couldn't put my thoughts together enough for a review loved your Jerry Springer analogy though (it totally sums up how I felt as well). I almost gave the book 3 stars, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. It just wasn't what I expected and unfortunately I expect a lot in a book from SB.

Shawna Auntee, I thought SB was going in that direction, too. I definitely felt that Dan needed and cared for Jenn, but I didn't really believe that he was truly in love with her until towards the end. But I still think he's a bit selfish and nope, not a big fan of his. LOL!

Thanks, Colleen. I expect a lot from SB, too, and although I liked this, I was still a little disappointed. Luckily I got it from the library and didn't pay the $12.99 Kindle price.

Colleen Yeah, I did pay the 12.99 Kindle price - I think that's another reason why I was disappointed. If I'm going to pay that much for a book (especially an e-book), I want to LOVE IT.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) I agree. I'll never be a big fan of Dan! I'm glad Eden gets better, because Izzy's such a great hero and deserved more from her!

message 9: by Shawna (last edited Apr 11, 2011 06:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shawna Sorry Colleen...that's a bummer. When you pay steep prices like that, you want them to be exceptional. I was lucky my library got several copies of this one, so I didn't have to pay or wait too long to read it. I'm still waiting on "Lover Unleashed" though, and I'm trying to remain tough and resist buying it on Kindle. But it's been so hard avoiding the updates and reviews on it. Hopefully I'll get it soon 'cause I feel myself weakening.

Colleen I'm waiting on Lover Unleashed from the library too. After what happened with this one, I'm a little gun shy in forking out the money for books that I can get at the library. I just didn't want to wait for this one and I totally should have! Oh well!

message 11: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara yay! i'm not the only one who hates Dan!

Rossy Fantastic review, Shawna, that was exactly how i felt!

Shawna Colleen wrote: "I'm waiting on Lover Unleashed from the library too. After what happened with this one, I'm a little gun shy in forking out the money for books that I can get at the library. I just didn't want ..."

We've gotta hang tough for our Lover Unleashed library copy!

Krista, I though Izzy deserved better, too, but Eden was better in this.

LOL, Sara!

Thanks, Rossy!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I’m a huge Suzanne Brockmann and Troubleshooters series fan, and zany Izzy Zanella has always been one of the most entertaining, endearing characters, so I’ve been anxiously awaiting his story.

Shawna UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "He carried the story, as far as I'm concerned. Had it not been about him, I probably wouldn't have made it past the 1/4 mark. "

Same here, Dhes!