Chelsea [Vampire Book Club]'s Reviews > Halfway to the Grave

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: uf-pnr, vampires, favorites, suggested-series-firsts, smexy
Read from January 09 to 11, 2011

This review was originally posted at Vampire Book Club.

Catherine Crawford kills vampires. She’s been hitting the bars to find undead to slay since she turned sixteen and her mother finally told her what she is: half-vampire. Incredibly rare, Cat’s mom was raped by a vampire. She holds the vampire part of her daughter against Cat. That means our heroine is doing her damnedest to take out everyone of those murderers she can. As a half-vampire, Cat has increased speed and senses, but you won’t find her drinking blood for sustenance.

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostThis plan worked just fine until the night she met Bones. The master vampire pegged her as hunting his kind immediately. On the upside, he also kills vampires. The bounty hunter strikes up a partnership with Cat. He’ll train her, make her stronger and she’ll get to kill vampires — just the ones he picks. Cat’s on board, but spends the weeks of training hating Bones. In the process, though, Bones challenges Cat to recognize who she is and accept that being part vampire isn’t a bad thing. She has this strong prejudice built in for their kind, often at the expense of her own self-esteem. Bones makes her question her life, who she is and forces her to decide if she can really love herself. Oh, and he’s super hot. Bonus.

Jeaniene Frost crafts characters you want to know in real life — or in the case of the big bad, maybe you’re happy he’s fictional. Both Cat and Bones come with baggage. They’re real, and it makes it that much easier to fall for them. The romantic story arc is natural and progresses with plenty of questioning. This isn’t a paranormal romance where the heroine blindly falls for the hero. Cat makes him work for her trust, her love, and the readers reap the benefits.

Halfway to the Grave is action-packed, funny and sexy. It’s the paranormal trifecta. Jeaniene Frost should be on your auto-buy list. I promise, after reading Halfway to the Grave, you’ll want to immediately read the rest of the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halfway to the Grave.

Quotes Chelsea [Vampire Book Club] Liked

Jeaniene Frost
“Aside from the obvious, Francesca, what do you want in return for supplying information?” Bones asked, getting back to the subject. “You to take me,” she replied at once. “Not gonna happen!” I spat, squeezing him possessively. Three sets of widened eyes fixed on me. That’s when I realized that what I had a firm grip on was no longer his hand.”

Jeaniene Frost
“I'm saying that I'm a moody, insecure, narrow-minded, jealous, borderline homicidal bitch, and I want you to promise me that you're okay with that, because it's who I am, and you're what I need.”

Jeaniene Frost
“No, I'm too tired to run, and you're too fast. You'd only catch me." "That's right, luv." Softly, but with unyielding resonance. "if you run from me, I'll chase you. And I'll find you. Bones said.”

01/10/2011 page 202
56.0% "Have I mentioned how much I love Cat & Bones?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sashana Hey Chelsea, not to sound like a promoter or anything but my group will be having a Q&A with Jeaniene Frost later this month so feel free to stop by.

Erin I LOVE the Night Huntress series. Probably the best adult series I've ever read!