May's Reviews > The Night She Got Lucky

The Night She Got Lucky by Susan Donovan

Aug 21, 10

did not like it
bookshelves: mushy-romance-stuff, series
Recommended for: NOBODY! RUN!!! RUN AWAY!!

This is the second book in Susan Donovan's "Dog Walker" series about a group of friends who are all pretty much dog loving man haters. They stand alone really, but the common thread between novels might be nice. I liked the first one quite a bit, and I'll likely buy the third one.

However: this book (excuse my language) was BALLS.

I *LOVE* Susan Donovan so I was really surprised, but I just could not even truly finish this. The heroine is a drop dead beautiful woman who thinks she's old and ugly. She put up with a verbally abusive dip$hit of a husband for 17 years and now is being romanced by a latin 'love 'em and leave 'em' guy. Who loves her. is great to her teenage sons. cherishes her from page 1. Meanwhile he's got somebody messing with his reputation, making him out to be a spy... and he's got to do 'battle' repeatedly with the ex-husband. LAME.

The heroine, from where I sit, is just plain stupid. She was weak, stupid, vain, and the more I read the more I disliked her. In the beginning there is a scene that made me say "oh EWW" out loud involving her and her 'imagining' intimate acts with the latin lover dude (a virtual stranger at that point) and thinking that she was imagining it when it was ACTUALLY HAPPENING. Um, no I don't see how that's possible.

At page 140 or so I gave up and skim/sped read the rest. My opinions went down, down, down... I was thrilled when I could call it done and move it OUT of my TBR pile.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night She Got Lucky.