Laura's Reviews > The Man Who Loved Pride & Prejudice: A Modern Love Story with a Jane Austen Twist

The Man Who Loved Pride & Prejudice by Abigail Reynolds

May 28, 10

Read from May 21 to 28, 2010

I loved The Man Who Loved Pride and Prejudice. I started reading the book not knowing what to expect, and I found myself loving an original modern take on Pride and Prejudice. I literally couldn’t put it down. My husband made the mistake of laughing at the title, but then looked sad when I said it sounded like the perfect man to me!

Cassie Boulton is a marine biologist and a professor at a small college. She spends each summer conducting research at the MBL in Woods Hole on the East Coast. This particular summer, Cassie is in town with her best friend Erin who is nursing a broken heart. Erin soon meets and falls in love with a man named Scott. Erin has Cassie play chaperone the first few times they meet and unfortunately, Cassie has to put up with Scott’s taciturn friend Calder. Cassie and Calder find themselves strangely attracted and share a very passionate love scene in the marsh one night. Calder finds he is unable to win Cassie’s love and decides to use Pride and Prejudice to try to break through to her.

Overall, this book was engaging and very romantic. I loved, loved, loved that Cassie was a scientist and strong woman. As an engineer, I am sad that women are not often shown as scientists/engineers generally in fiction. Calder was a very sexy hero. All of the characters, including the secondary, were very well written and interesting. I was happy to read at the end that Ms. Reynolds is at work on a follow-up to The Man Who Loved Pride and Prejudice. I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Loved Pride & Prejudice.