Nancy O'Toole's Reviews > The Woman Who Rides Like a Man

The Woman Who Rides Like a Man by Tamora Pierce

May 21, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read in September, 2014

I've recently been rereading Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness Quartet. I just finished up book 3, The Woman Who Rides Like a Man.

In all honesty, I ended up enjoying this book more than I remembered. Yes, its suffers from being unfocused, especially when compared to the rest of the series, but the novel does a good job of expanding our understanding of Tortall, bringing the love triangle involving Jonathan, Alanna and George to the next level, and showing the Lioness in a new role, that of a teacher. The majority of her books focus on her time living with the Bahzir as a shamen, a role which forces her to focus more on her magical abilities, which often make her uncomfortable. The entirety of the book takes place away form the palace, meaning we don't necessarily see the same old faces that we're used to, with the exception of major players like Coram, Jonathan and George. Fortunately, the new characters are quite memorable. I quite like Alanna's new students in particular. I also enjoy the fact that The Woman Who Rides Like a Man openly has a heroine who takes on multiple sexual partners, and doesn't judge her unfairly for it.

The Woman Who Rides Like a Man is a exciting third volume in The Song of the Lioness Quartet series. I was happy to be able to read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Rides Like a Man.