Michaela's Reviews > Raised by Wolves

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Aug 30, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, fave-series, werewolves
Read from August 29 to 30, 2010 — I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raised by Wolves.

Quotes Michaela Liked

“Bryn?"
Chase's voice was a whisper in my mind, and the sensation sent a single chill up my spine.

"Yes?"

"You asked me what I liked, before." He paused, and all the silence tickled my mind, the chill in my spine climbing its way to the hairs on the back of my neck.

"Before, I loved cars, Yeats, having a bedroom that locked from the inside, and you.”

“You're my escort?"

Devon shrugged. "The Big Guy tells you to do something, you do it, even if it means babysitting a bratty little human girl who calls playing with glue an art."

I reached over and smacked him.”

“I'm Chase." he said.

"Kind of an ironic name for a werewolf." The observation slipped easily off my tongue. The boy didn't blink. In fact, I was beginning to doubt that he'd blink once since I'd come into the room. "Werewolves do a lot of chasing." I explained.

"And your name is Chase. Hee.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“There are bad people in the world: Murderers and psychopaths and telemarketers who won't take no for an answer.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Katie nosed at the carpet and then gave it a good chew. When it proved recalcitrant enough that she couldn't pull it up, she growled.

"Who's a fierce little girl?" I asked her. "Who's going to kick butt and take names and help her big sister get into all kinds of trouble someday?"

Devon snorted. "Sometimes, I think the term bad influence was invented specifically with you in mind.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Ali wrinkled her forehead and cocked her head to the side. Clearly, she hadn't prepared herself for me to be pleasant. After a moment, her eyes narrowed. "What exactly did you and Lake did yesterday?" she asked, like we might have held up a gas station and gone on a crime spree across the country, all in the span of just a few hours.

"We went to Mexico, had some tequila, eloped with a pair of drug smugglers, and took part-time jobs as exotic dancers. You know, same old, same old."

Ali snorted.

"I'm torn on stripper names. It's either going to be Lady Love or Wolfsbane Lane. Thoughts?"

Ali threw a onesie at me. "Brat.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“I had to protect him. And me. So I took everything I felt for the pack. I saw the bond, and instead of closing myself off to it, I pulled. I pulled at it and I thrust it toward Chase.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Good boy, Devon," I taunted. "You got me home before dark. If you can sit, shake and roll over, too, I'm sure Callum will give you a doggie treat.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Nobody knew what it was like to be torn between what it meant to be human and what it meant to be Pack better than me.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Bryn, when you were six years old, you tried to bungee jump off a jungle gym by connecting the straps of your overalls to the bars with your shoelaces. Caution has never been your strong suit.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“I was outnumbered, unarmed, weak, and screwed. In that order.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“There wasn't an in-between for me. I lived at extremes. And maybe I'd die at them too.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Aren't you supposed to be taking my order?' I asked.
'Bite me. And then you can tell me what's wrong.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Lake, could you please stop sweet-talking the weapons? It's kind of freaking me out.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“I turned my attention back to Kaitlin, who now appeared to be very conscientiously stalking my shoelace.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“I smiled half a smile at her puppy antics, wondering what it would be like to be able to join her, to shed my human skin and the confines that went with it and just live in the moment as a wolf. What would I look like with four legs and fur—would I be light-colored like Katie, or a darker timber, like Dev? I wondered if I would be velvet black with ice-blue eyes, like Chase.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Not going to walk me to the door?" I asked, pretending to be shocked at his lack of gallantry.
"Of course I am. many would think that a bonny lass such as yerself wouldst be able to stay out of trouble for a distance of fifteen feet, but I know better."
"Did you just use the words yerself and wouldst in the same sentence? You can't be a pirate and a courtier at the same time, Dev. It just isn't done.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Luckily for me, I didn't know precisely what it was that I'd done to merit a visit from our pack's leader. There were any number of possibilities, none of which I wanted to openly admit on the off chance that there was something I'd done that he hadn't found out yet.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Casey was in the bed with Ali. And that was where I drew the line. Because eww.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“You're going down, Bronwyn. Them's fighting words.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“You have no right to tell me-"

"You do not want to finish that sentence, missy. You want to sit down, close your mouth, and eat."

"How am I supposed to eat with my mouth closed?”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Lake breathed out a happy sigh as she approached the row filled with guns. "Matilda was my first, but ladies, you know how to make a girl want to stray.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“Casey doesn't trust him."

"Casey doesn't trust anyone," I replied. "He's paranoid like that. I mean, come on, he's a werewolf who installed a nanny cam in his kids' room." I pointed my spoon at Ali for emphasis. "A nanny cam.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“I laid my head on his neck, and the two of us-girl and wolf-fell asleep, into a dream within a dream.”

Jennifer Lynn Barnes
“....And b-t-w, if anyone asks you what's in the box, I'd say 'feminine supplies.'"

The box was large and heavy, and there was a distinct clanging sound as I carried it. "As in tampons?"

"Keely's not going to ask questions. Ali's busy with the twins, and everyone else around here is male. Tampons scare the bejeezus out of them, my dad included, but if the person who asks is a Were, they'd smell a lie. Hence, feminine supplies."

"Because we're females, and they're our supplies?" I guessed.

"No. Because weapons are feminine." Lake gave me an insulted look. "Why do you think I named my gun Matilda?”