Lydia Presley's Reviews > Angelology

Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

May 23, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, fiction, gothic, suspense, thriller
Read from May 21 to 23, 2010

This book is what would happen if Dan Brown and Elizabeth Kostova got together and made a book.

It starts out slow - seriously slow. So slow that I had to force myself repeatedly to pick it up over the period of three days. In fact, it didn't pick up speed until the last few hours I spent reading it - and that was the last third of the book.

So for those of you out there reading my reviews I want to warn you (Auntie, I'm talking to you right now), if you didn't like what Dan Brown did to religion in The DaVinci Code then don't pick up this book. Although it's a bit more fantasy-driven then Browns books are and dealing with the paranormal, there are sections of the book the clearly twist several parts of scripture just so that it can make a thrilling story. (One thing this book did remind me of was my childhood desire to name a son Japheth one day).

I was slightly annoyed by the names of the leading female characters, Gabriella, Angela, Evangelica. It was all just a little too neat and perfect. The most fascinating part of the book were a few pages right smack dab in the middle where the book left the main storyline and went back 1000 years to tell the history of what was being investigated.

Now, earlier I said that the book didn't pick up until the last third - well, it got action-filled there. Lots of fights, lots of crazy things happening and finally some answers and movement of the story-line.

The overall feel was VERY gothic and if you enjoy gothis mystery/thriller books and don't mind the religious aspect then this is definitely a book for you to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelology.