Judy's Reviews > The White Masai

The White Masai by Corinne Hofmann

2421939
May 21, 10

I enjoyed this book, even though while reading it I'm thinking, "What are YOU (the author) thinking?" - as she pursues marriage with someone from a completely different culture and whose language she doesn't speak, all based on the fact she's smitten with his looks. Well, I suppose that's where it all starts, the physical attraction. I appreciated learning about what it must be like to take up residence in the bush, with a hut made of cow dung, diseases lurking, water that has to be fetched, no toilet paper, and a diet of mostly chai, rice, and goats and cows slaughtered from the local herd. Not to mention the circumcision practices of both sexes! At the same time I was reading the book, I happened to watch a BBC program of Simon Reeve's journey along the equator, traveling through Kenya, which added a visual dimension to the story. As mentioned in the book, Simon was shown picking some of the miraa leaves, a plant that's chewed for its amphetamine-like stimulating qualities. I won't give away the ending. Even though I didn't think the author's choices were too cool, I probably will check out her sequels.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Masai.