Robin's Reviews > Garner on Language and Writing: Selected Essays and Speeches of Bryan A. Garner

Garner on Language and Writing by Bryan A. Garner

Sep 09, 2010

bookshelves: first-reads, at-home
Recommended to Robin by: firstreads
Recommended for: law professionals, writers
Read from July 03 to September 09, 2010 , read count: 1

I won this book on goodreads firstreads. And I sheepishly admit I didn't read the description of the book before putting my name in to win it. I saw the words "Language and Writing" in the title and dove in headfirst. I had no idea this was a tome on legal writing. So when I got the book and saw what I'd signed up for, I could only groan and brace myself for a torturous journey of self-important, impossible-to-understand prose.

This book turned out to be the best mistake I've ever made. Garner hooked me in the introduction. The man is clearly briliant. But he is unpretentious and clear in his writing. I had no trouble following his instruction on writing. I was delighted at his sense of humor. Most of all, I was relieved to find so much of his instruction that I can apply to myself as a novelist. This book is geared towards those in the legal prefession, but remains accessable to non-lawyers.

I must admit, there were portions I skipped over because they were so completely focused on legal writing that they couldn't be applicable to me. But just as often, I found myself getting drawn into inapplicable sections. It is interesting enough to read from start to finish, but is set up as a reference book. You can jump from section to section as needed.

My initial intention was to read enough of the book to write a review and trade the thing for something I can use. Having read much more than I planned, I've now cleared a spot on my shelf for Garner. Sorry people. This is MY copy. You'll just have to get your own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garner on Language and Writing.