Amy Moritz's Reviews > No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II

No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin

May 20, 2010

Read from May 20, 2010 to September 22, 2011

It took me 16 months to finish this book so yes, I feel a sense of triumph. But please do not form any opinion over the quality of the book with my inability to stay focused while reading it. I adore Doris Kearns Goodwin. Her writing is interesting and accessible. It is also detailed and thick and at times I became distracted by something shinny (oh look! A new Jen Lancaster book!) or simply didn't feel up to the level of Doris and the Roosevelts. This book which explores relationships of all kinds between and around Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt during WWII reaches into every nook and cranny of that era from their marriage and personal relationships, to political relationships, to labor and big business, to civil rights and women's work. It deals with some nitty-gritty of the war effort, primarily on the home front (as per the books title) but also with some military description. While fascinating throughout, it is not until the end of the book where I started to fully grasp not only the individual drives of Franklin and Eleanor but of how their personality, their marriage and their relationships with other people profoundly impacted American society. Loved it. While not a history of World War II, I feel better versed in the war effort. More importantly for me, I could see my grandparents' story woven into parts of the book. It brought back the voice of my grandmother telling tales of working for Bell Aircraft and my grandfather's sparse words about his service overseas. As fascinating as Eleanor and Franklin were (and I still find them to be) the connection of their story to that of American society is what makes this a read that I relish and enjoy, not just plow through. Loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Ordinary Time.

06/17/2016 marked as: read