Dan's Reviews > King Rat

King Rat by James Clavell

Jul 25, 10

Read from July 20 to 25, 2010

So glad I discovered Clavell. I recently read Shogun and just finished this one. Both books were incredibally gartifying to read. Shogun is probably quite a bit more popular and widely known; however, I think I like King Rat more.

The book's title is refering to Corpral King, who is a an American POW in Camp Changi located in Singapore. The camp is run by the Japanese during WW II. The POW's are compiled of British, Austrailians, and Americans (Americans being the minority), and all of the prisoners are basically on the fringe of staying alive. Food rations are minimal. Work conditions are dangerous and harsh, and everyone is suffering... except for King, who acquires excess food and money through questionable means. He regularly sells food and items for prophet, which is against the law (The Japanese have left it to the officers of the POW's to establish rules and enforce them along with the Japs' rules as well). I can't really tell you more of the story without spoiling it, but just know that is an incredible story of survival and friendship. I highly reccomend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Rat.